In any company the first day of activity is exciting, with expectations for the future, wanting to have a first customer … But in retail, the first day is “the big day”, the day of lifting the blind and causing a great Print; and with the right management it will go down in history as the day, the week or perhaps the month in which it had the “opening effect”.
It could be defined as opening effect to the business activity without historical precedents (it is its first day) that is generated thanks to the expectation and promotional development that is able to build the own retail brand.
Easier for powerful brands
For famous brands, the opening effect almost “comes out alone” because between its strong advertising presence or its impact on society and the word-of-mouth effect, the target population knows perfectly well what the new store will bring them. The brand does not have to announce who it is, everyone already knows.
- Strong local communication plan with the opening date and main launch offers. It is given a festive air of the type “you were asking for it and finally we opened a store in your city”
- Have some spectacular offers during the first days that facilitate visitor traffic.
- Have a lot of stock to be able to sell the maximum.
- Carry out family activities to generate greater local impact: attractions and games for children, training workshops for clients, demonstrations, etc.
What if my store is an SME?
It can be a store with a brand new, small or without some notoriety and have a great opening effect. But really your concern should not be what happens that day, week or month to set an isolated sales record, but that your good work and ability to win customers get that record is constantly exceeded.
It is not about having great means, but having the necessary attitude to start building a certain expectation towards your opening. This moment of opening should also be included in the business plan.
Ten actions to achieve a grand opening with few resources:
- As soon as you have the commercial premises, install a large sign on the façade that indicates your start of activity: who you are and what you are going to sell. When you know for sure the date will also be indicated.
- It is time to contact prescribers and groups that may be potentially interesting and let them participate in our next opening. Surely they are glad to open a store that meets their tastes / interests / needs.
- Your closest neighbors can be your best customers. Prepare a presentation diptych to mail or even better hand in door to door on your street or neighborhood. Also in that diptych you can include a special discount coupon for the first few days, exclusive for your neighbors. Beware of the person doing the delivery door to door, since it will be the first image of your new trade for many people.
- You are making important stock purchases to start … negotiate some good products at the best prices and do not be afraid to sell almost without margin! Having some good product hook as opening offer can be a good idea.
- Become strong in social networks. Virtually since the beginning of the works or reforms of your new business, you must be present in social networks, making noise and gaining followers who can then be customers. Do not be afraid to invest in Facebook advertising, for very little money you can get great results. You should also think about the importance of extending your store to electronic commerce, that should be your next and immediate step necessary.
- Your most immediate network of contacts should be your largest network of ambassadors! All your relatives, friends, acquaintances and contacts must know when you are going to open, what you are going to sell and why your store is going to be the best in the city. Enthusiastic with your energy and they will do the rest.
- Select the best possible dependents. The best seller is not the best seller, but the best seller. Search the candidates for good qualities in customer service, as this should be one of your hallmarks.
- Training in sales and product: your store team must be perfectly trained so that from the first day transmit the values of your brand, serve the customer with the criteria of excellence that you mark and be a perfect connoisseur of the product. Surely your suppliers will help you with product training to help you sell more.
- Encourage and motivate your team so that each sale is the most important of the day and each client feels the most important in the world. It is not about receiving the first visit of a client, but about getting him back.
- Enjoy the trade, the contact with customers, the satisfaction of offering a solution to your needs. If you have people in charge, remember that you are like a mirror for them and your example value is fundamental, both in how you serve your customers and in your way of moving around the store. It’s time to start selling and building loyalty.
The cost of these actions is very low, what is needed is the attitude and the desire to dazzle from the first day, without complexes or fears to large operators. There is only one opening date and you have to go for it!